2020 Toyota Prius Prime
The 2020 Toyota Prius Prime is the plug-in-hybrid (PHEV) Prius we have all been waiting for.
The Prius Prime is not remodeled for the 2020 production year, but does come with many quality upgrades over its predecessor. Features like standard SiriusXM satellite radio, plus Apple CarPlay and Amazon Alexa compatibility are now added. Android Auto users are still out of luck, though. The back seat sees a couple of changes, with two additional USB ports and an optional fifth seat. Additionally, the new PHEV has an estimated average of 54 mpg in hybrid mode and 25 miles of pure electric driving range. It’s powered by a naturally aspirated 1.8-Liter 4-cylinder Aluminum DOHC 16-Valve gasoline engine paired with an 8.8 (kWh) Battery, producing 121 horsepower. This is a great new addition to the standard Toyota Prius line that offers a lot of standard features for the price
2020 Toyota Prius Prime starts at:
- Prius Prime LE: $27,900
- Prius Prime XLE: $29,800
- Prius Prime Limited: $33,800
All the models in the Prius Prime range are front-wheel drive and are equipped the same 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine connected to a CVT transmission as well as an electric motor, which makes a combined output of 121 horsepower. The engine alone produces 95 horsepower and 105 lb-ft of torque, supplemented by an on-board battery with an 8.8 kWh capacity.
The 2020 Toyota Prius Prime comes with front wheel drive. Available transmissions include: continuously variable-speed automatic.
All three Prius Prime models have the same EPA ratings, which are 55 mpg city and 53 highway for the gasoline engine. Combined with electricity from the hybrid system, the government estimates it will earn 133 MPGe.
Options & Features
Standard and optional features available for the 2020 Toyota Prius Prime models include:
- Quad-LED projector headlights with auto-off feature
- Quad-LED projector headlights with auto on/off feature
- LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL) with on/off feature
- Integrated LED fog lights and LED accent lights
- LED taillights and stop lights
- Patterned acrylic grille overlay with active grille shutter
- Heated power outside mirrors with folding feature
- 15-in. 5-spoke alloy wheels and P195/65R15 tires
- Washer-linked variable intermittent windshield wipers
- Rain-sensing variable intermittent windshield wipers
- Dual-wave rear glass design
- Carbon-fiber-reinforced-polymer rear hatch
- Charge port with illumination and charge indicator light
- Smart charging cable lock
The entry-level LE has Toyota’s Safety Sense-P suite of active-safety features, including lane-departure warning with steering assist, automated emergency braking with pedestrian detection, and adaptive cruise control, plus a 7.0-inch infotainment touchscreen. The midrange XLE gets wireless charging and a huge 11.6-inch screen. The top-end Limited adds a color head-up display, park assist, blind-spot monitoring, and rain-sensing wipers; it’s a lot more car for not a lot more money.